Saturday 17 December 2011

English is a Crazy Language

I found this dear :


Yes, I am absolutely agree with it. Hence, we have to admit that English is a crazy language.You know, sometime we teach certain rules of grammar to the class, but somehow and somewhere we probably will find something that does not fit into the rules given at all. 

I provide you the situation :

T : Ok class, after "to", the verb should be in base form. 
    No need to put "s", "ed" or "ing".
    For the example, "I want to see you soon."
    Do you understand?
S : Yes teacher!
T : Good!

As a language teacher, our brain has been automatically set up to analyze each word in every sentence found.

After an incident of being-exposed-to-too-many-reading-materials :

......."I am looking forward to seeing you soon."

Oh my God, did I teach wrong matter to my students? In this sentence, I realize that after "to", there is "ing" attached to the verb. Why should this happen? Do the sentence have mistake and need correction? Do I miss any information? Arghhh, I already lose my mind !!

Well dear, this is the down-to-earth explanation from me :

Grammar Rule 0011 : after "to", the verb should be in base form. No need to put "s", "ed" or "ing".
For the example, "I want to see you soon." 

Apart from that,
Grammar Rule 0111 : we use gerund (verb + ing) after phrasal verb like "get used to" and "look forward to"
For the example, "I am looking forward to seeing you soon."

Can you see my point? There will always exceptional and additional information in dealing with sentence structure. Furthermore, there is no fix rule to be obeyed all the time. We have to bear in mind that not everything would follow the rules stated, sounds like the black sheep of the family suddenly come out to make us confused. Sometimes, there is no right or wrong answer, it is all about the language style.

English Teacher always be wiser than others in language field, but it does not mean that we do not make mistakes. As a human being, we do make mistakes and cannot avoid ourselves from making mistakes. Indeed, we should learn from those faults and collect valuable experience as much as possible throughout the process of strengthening ourselves. Me too, I also might make mistakes that I merely do not realize, do correct me then. Peace no war.

No comments:

Post a Comment